kutamaya

Coffee Corner Small Talk about World


I adore coffee. It is one of those splurges in life I hope never to give up. In fact, I love coffee so much I invested in a coffee bean roaster so I can have fresh roasted coffee at home. However, just like eating out, sometimes it is nice to let someone else do the "brewing" and when those times hit, I head to one of our local coffee shops.

Mainly because of proximity and product consistency, I go to Starbucks and kiss my ten-dollar bill goodbye on two Venti cappuccinos and then sit, pretending to savor miles of froth with a few sips of coffee. That was until I read an article about the secret cup size Starbucks does not advertise and a Consumer Report comparing Starbucks, McDonald's, Burger King and Dunkin' Donuts.

The Secret Size Starbucks Left Off the Menu

Tim Harford, of Slate.com, enlightened me in his article "Solving the mystery of the elusive "short" cappuccino," by disclosing that Starbucks has an eight ounce "short cappuccino" available, but it is not advertised on the menu.

According to Hartford, the short size contains the same amount of espresso as the "Tall" 12-ounce size and it is less expensive. Not only does it cost a bit less, but for anyone tired of downing multi-levels of froth before getting to the coffee, the taste is supposed to be bolder and better and the calorie intake is a lot less.

Consumer Reports Coffee Taste Test

Consumer Reports did a recent comparison of coffee served at Starbucks, McDonald's, Burger King and Dunkin' Donuts. The coffee ordered at each restaurant was black, without any additives. Surprisingly, the testers voted McDonald's the winner saying, "Its premium coffee was strong, like Starbucks, but tasted better," and the price was the cheapest.

Burger King's coffee was said to look like coffee, but taste more like hot water. Dunkin' Donuts was described as weak and watery and tasters found Starbucks, "was strong, but burnt and bitter enough to make your eyes water instead of open."

My Taste Test

After reading the test by Consumer Reports, I headed out to do my own research and found McDonald's to be a disappointment. It may be a better cup of coffee at times, but to me it tasted like it was poured from the bottom of the pot - bitter and old. When served fresh I can see how it could compete for the morning drive to work, but if it is a typical non-coffee time of the day, ask if it is freshly brewed and don't settle for anything less.

Getting a cup of old coffee at Starbucks has never happened to me and the short unadvertised Starbucks cappuccino really solved the froth problem. I actually tasted coffee with my first sip! It was a delight to no longer swallow air with a hint of coffee. The smaller cup had a much better balance of flavors and seemed more authentic-like and less Starbucks-like, plus cost less. Why the size isn't on the menu is a pure case of economics, says Harford, and in my opinion, a mistake on Starbucks part.

The Bottom Line

Starbucks won my unofficial test because of taste, selection and employee knowledge. After I made it known that when I order coffee, I expect coffee and not froth, the Manager suggested I try the Latte or order a "wet" cappuccino. Those are options McDonald's can't offer to me, so for my test, Starbucks is the winner. However, the next early morning when I am in a hurry and just want a plain cup of black coffee, I'll most likely head to McDonald's.


0 comments:

Fresh Asian Girls